Mountain Brook Community Church is an evangelical, non-denominational church that is dedicated to God’s Word, thankful for God’s grace and committed to teaching and serving others for God’s glory. The church began when a small group of families met together in the home of one of our members back in the spring of 1992. Since that time, God has blessed our church, enabling us to grow, develop our vision, clarify our mission and establish a strong foundation for ministry in our community and around the world.
Our purpose is to exalt God by developing fully devoted followers of Christ who love God and love others. While only God can change our hearts, we strive to continually provide sound Scriptural teaching and enriching environments that God will use to transform our lives.
Our ministries are structured around four vital areas that we believe are catalysts for life change – worship, discipleship, community and mission. Our prayer is that each of us will continually and consistently be involved in these vital areas as we endeavor to carry out our purpose, to make disciples and to grow to be more like Christ.
Location / Campus
MBCC is located in the “Over the Mountain” area of Birmingham, Alabama, that includes the suburbs of Mountain Brook, Vestavia, Homewood, Hoover, and North Shelby County. Our 10-acre campus is located in a very accessible and highly visible locale. The church recently completed an extensive building project that included a new and secure children’s ministry area, a large multi-purpose area to be used for adult teaching venues and larger gatherings, and a renovated and secure nursery area.
MBCC is predominately a church of well-educated, highly engaged families. While there is a great diversity of ages, from younger to older, within the church, there has been significant growth of members in their 20’s, 30’s, and 40’s over the past few years. Our people are accustomed to high levels of excellence in all regards and long to be led toward an authentic encounter with God through relevant biblical teaching that is accurate and truthful.
- Spiritual maturity and uncompromising character (I Tim 3:1-7; Titus 1:6-9)
- Engaging and highly relational personality
- Creative / innovative / collaborative
- Shepherd’s heart (cares deeply for children, parents and volunteers)
- Servant leader
- Experienced developer of people and programs
- Ability and passion to grow and lead a thriving children’s ministry
- Strong work ethic
- Humble / trustworthy / respectable
- Team player
The Ideal Candidate Will Have
- A deep devotion to God and love for His Word, with the passion to serve from a heart of personal devotion and not professional obligation
- A deep understanding of Scripture
- A strong educational background in Biblical Studies, Children/Family Education, or a related field is preferred
- Proven experience (at least 3-5 years), in the leadership, development and growth of a vibrant children’s ministry, preferably in a larger church setting
- An engaging and dynamic personality that creates a loving, fun and creative environment for effective learning and care
- Exceptional capabilities and giftedness as a wise leader and teacher, including the ability to lead and teach (in large and small group settings) children, parents, staff, and volunteers
- A solid knowledge of effective teaching resources (written, audiovisual, etc.) for teaching of ages 4 (Pre-K) through 12 (6th grade)
- Competency with current technology used for teaching and safety/security
- The ability and desire to create and administer other learning and friendship events or programs for children and parents on a periodic basis (nights, mid-week, holiday periods, summers, etc.)
- Experience in recruiting, motivating, equipping and scheduling volunteer leaders and teachers
- Strong organizational and communication skills (both verbal and written)
- The desire and ability to provide strong attention to details and a healthy work environment with the goal of excellence with the ministry
- Doctrinal agreement with MBCC’s Statement of Faith (included below)
- Provide the direction, leadership and oversight of the children’s ministry (“Kid’s Ministry”) of MBCC (Pre-K through 6th Grade)
- Overall development and implementation of a strategy and process for leading children and parents into a deeper understanding of, and love for, God, His Word, and a desire to live a life marked by His love and grace
- Provide the vision and direction for the Kid’s Ministry Sunday morning teaching venues, both on a weekly and long-range basis. Currently, MBCC has two worship services (8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.) and a smaller group teaching/fellowship period (9:45 a.m. – “Community Groups”). The Kids’ Ministry provides classes during the two worship services and the Community Group period. Each summer the schedule can vary. There is currently no regular Sunday night or mid-week worship services or children’s programming
- Research, select and implement the age specific curriculum and teaching methodology for all age groups within the Kid’s Ministry. Teacher training and a regular review of curriculum and teaching methodology are also necessary
- Provide leadership, direction, oversight and care for the Kids’ Ministry staff (currently 2 part-time positions). This responsibility includes clear communication of responsibilities within the ministry and evaluation of staffing needs. The preparation of a yearly ministry plan and budget is also necessary
- Regularly teach children’s classes and periodically lead and teach in other teaching venues (seminars, special classes, special events, etc.) to children, parents, volunteers and other adults
- Recruitment and training of needed volunteers (including teachers, helpers, parent teams, technology needs, drama teams, Welcome Desk, special event leadership, etc.) within the Kid’s Ministry. This responsibility includes developing a process and criteria for volunteer recruitment and eligibility
- Develop and implement a strategy and process aimed at equipping parents to better fulfill their role as the primary spiritual leaders of their children and to assist parents in the spiritual formation of children within the home (i.e. parenting conferences, parenting resources)
- Develop and implement additional spiritual formation and friendship events (i.e. VBS, movie nights, possible camps, other special events) for children and parents on a periodic basis (nights, mid-week, holiday periods, summers, etc.)
- Develop, evaluate and implement an effective security and safety protocol within the Kid’s Ministry. The protocol will include check-in and check-out procedures, maintaining secure areas, teacher policies, background checks, emergency plans, and classroom rules and procedures
- Provide instruction and training for parents and children regarding the observance of MBCC ordinances (Baptism and Communion), which will include assisting with baptisms on Sunday mornings
- Work closely with the MBCC Pastoral Staff and Elders.
Our Statement of Faith
What we believe about the SCRIPTURE
We believe the entire 66 books of the Bible are the inspired Word of God. We believe men were moved by the Holy Spirit to write these words of Scripture; therefore, the Bible’s original writings are without error and are our supreme authority for life.
What we believe about GOD
We believe in one God who exists in three distinct persons (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit). God the Father rules over the world in perfect wisdom, power, and love. He is actively engaged in the affairs of men; He hears and answers prayer; and He saves from sin and death all who come to Him through Christ. We believe that Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God who became flesh to reveal God to man and to be the Savior of the world. We believe the Holy Spirit is active in our world to, among other things, convict the world of sin, draw people to a relationship with Christ, live within followers of Jesus to guide and to give power for Christ-like living and to seal them forever in a relationship with Him.
What we believe about MANKIND
We believe that man was created in the image of God to have fellowship with Him but that man has become alienated from that relationship through sinful disobedience. As a result, man is totally sinful by nature and by choice, and is incapable of coming back into a right relationship with God by his own effort.
What we believe about JESUS
We believe Jesus was born of the virgin Mary, was fully God and fully man, lived without sin, was crucified and physically rose from the dead, ascended to heaven, and will personally return.
What we believe about SALVATION
We believe that the substitutionary death of Jesus Christ on the cross is the only basis for the forgiveness of sins. Salvation only occurs when a person, as enabled by the Holy Spirit, places his/her faith in Jesus. It is in His life, death, and resurrection that there is the sufficient payment for sin and the only hope for a right relationship with God.
What we believe about the CHRISTIAN LIFE
We believe that every Christian should live for Christ and not for himself. By obedience to the Word through daily yielding to the Holy Spirit, every believer will mature and be increasingly conformed to the image of Christ.
What we believe about the CHURCH
We believe that the Church is the body of Christ, of which Jesus Christ is the Head. The members are those who by faith trust in the finished work of Christ for their salvation. The purpose of the Church is to glorify God by loving Him, by loving others, and by making Him known to the people of the world.
What we believe about ETERNITY
We believe in the bodily resurrection of those who are saved by faith in Jesus to live with Him eternally in heaven. We believe that those who have not placed their faith in Christ will dwell eternally separated from Him.