Mountain Brook Community Church is an evangelical, non-denominational church that is dedicated to God’s Word, thankful for God’s grace and committed to teaching and serving others for God’s glory. The church began when a small group of families met together in the home of one of our members back in the spring of 1992. Since that time, God has blessed our church, enabling us to grow, develop our vision, clarify our mission and establish a strong foundation for ministry in our community and around the world.
Our purpose is to exalt God by developing fully devoted followers of Christ who love God and love others. While only God can change our hearts, we strive to continually provide sound Scriptural teaching and enriching environments that God will use to transform our lives.
Our ministries are structured around four vital areas that we believe are catalysts for life change – worship, discipleship, community and mission. Our prayer is that each of us will continually and consistently be involved in these vital areas as we endeavor to carry out our purpose, to make disciples and to grow to be more like Christ.
Location / Campus
MBCC is located in the “Over the Mountain” area of Birmingham, Alabama, that includes the suburbs of Mountain Brook, Vestavia, Homewood, Hoover, and North Shelby County. Our 10-acre campus is located in a very accessible and highly visible locale. The church recently completed an extensive building project that included a new and secure children’s ministry area, a large multi-purpose area to be used for adult teaching venues and larger gatherings, and a renovated and secure nursery area.
MBCC is predominately a church of well-educated, highly engaged families. While there is a great diversity of ages, from younger to older, within the church, there has been significant growth of members in their 20’s, 30’s, and 40’s over the past few years.
- Spiritual maturity and uncompromising character (I Tim 3:1-7; Titus 1:6-9)
- Engaging and highly relational personality
- Creative / innovative / collaborative
- Shepherd’s heart
- Servant leader
- Experienced developer of people and programs
- Ability and passion to grow and lead a thriving children’s ministry
- Strong work ethic
- Humble / trustworthy / respectable
- Team player
The Ideal Candidate Will Have
- A deep devotion to God and love for His Word, with the passion to serve from a heart of personal devotion and not professional obligation
- A deep understanding of Scripture
- A strong educational background in Biblical Studies, Children/Family Education, or a related field is preferred
- Proven experience (at least 3-5 years), in the leadership, development and growth of a vibrant children’s ministry
- An engaging and dynamic personality that creates a loving, fun and creative environment for effective learning and care
- Exceptional capabilities and giftedness as a wise leader and teacher, including the ability to lead and teach (in large and small group settings) children, parents, staff, and volunteers
- A solid knowledge of effective teaching resources (written, audiovisual, etc.) for teaching of ages 4 (Pre-K) through 12 (6th grade)
- Competency with current technology used for teaching and safety/security
- Experience in recruiting, motivating, equipping and scheduling volunteer leaders and teachers
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- The desire and ability to provide strong attention to details and a healthy work environment with the goal of excellence with the ministry
- Doctrinal agreement with MBCC’s Statement of Faith
- Provide the direction, leadership and oversight of the children’s ministry (“Kid’s Ministry”) of MBCC (Pre-K through 6th Grade)
- Overall development and implementation of a strategy and process for leading children and parents into a deeper understanding of, and love for, God, His Word, and a desire to live a life marked by His love and grace
- Provide the vision and direction for the Kid’s Ministry Sunday morning teaching venues, both on a weekly and long-range basis. Currently, MBCC has two worship services (8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.) and a smaller group teaching/fellowship period (9:45 a.m. – “Community Groups”). The Kids’ Ministry provides classes during the two worship services and the Community Group period. Each summer the schedule can vary. There is currently no regular Sunday night or mid-week worship services or children’s programming
- Research, select and implement the age specific curriculum and teaching methodology for all age groups within the Kid’s Ministry. Teacher training and a regular review of curriculum and teaching methodology are also necessary
- Provide leadership, direction, oversight and care for the Kids’ Ministry staff (currently 2 part-time positions). This responsibility includes clear communication of responsibilities within the ministry and evaluation of staffing needs. The preparation of a yearly ministry plan and budget is also necessary
- Regularly teach children’s classes and periodically lead and teach in other teaching venues to children, parents, volunteers and other adults
- Recruitment and training of needed volunteers within the Kid’s Ministry. This responsibility includes developing a process and criteria for volunteer recruitment and eligibility
- Develop and implement a strategy and process aimed at equipping parents to better fulfill their role as the primary spiritual leaders of their children and to assist parents in the spiritual formation of children within the home
- Develop and implement additional spiritual formation for children and parents on a periodic basis
- Develop, evaluate and implement an effective security and safety protocol within the Kid’s Ministry. The protocol will include check-in and check-out procedures, maintaining secure areas, teacher policies, background checks, emergency plans, and classroom rules and procedures
- Provide instruction and training for parents and children regarding the observance of MBCC ordinances (Baptism and Communion), which will include assisting with baptisms on Sunday mornings
- Work closely with the MBCC Pastoral Staff and Elders.