First United Methodist Church (FUMC) of Hendersonville
Position: Director of Elementary Ministry
Reports to: Director of Family Ministries
The Director of Elementary Ministry has overall responsibility for ensuring that the curriculum, programs, and events for these children embrace and convey the mission, vision and values of FUMC. This position works closely with other age-level ministries to foster spiritual development of children ages in 0-5th grade, but will work specifically with the K-5th grade curriculum. The Supervisor and Staff Parish Relations Committee will conduct an annual evaluation and provide support throughout the year as needed.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Oversee and coordinate educational, spiritual growth activities, and Orange curriculum to ensure effective weekly gatherings, including Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings, working in partnership with staff and volunteers
- Provide organizational and spiritual leadership for the Elementary ministries
- Plan and lead our Sunday morning First Kids which includes speaking in a large group setting, and using creative ways to engage children (multi-media, skits, etc.)
- Develop, plan, and promote outreach events for families and children in our community
- Lead and organize regular social, missional, and discipleship opportunities for children. Some examples of this would include Vacation Bible School, outings, and summer camp/retreat trips.
- Recruit, train and lead Elementary Ministry Volunteers
- Communicate with the congregation regularly regarding Elementary ministry vision, programs, and life changing stories
- Partner with Parents and provide support and effective communication through weekly emails, social media, etc.
- Fulfill safe sanctuary guidelines in the Elementary ministry department
- Plan and coordinate the Family Worship Service on Christmas Eve with the Family Ministry Team and oversee the Wednesday night 3-week Christmas Camp.
- Collaborate with the Director of Family Ministries, Director of Youth Ministries, Preschool Ministry, and Weekday Preschool Director to ensure consistency of programs, communication and ministries to families
- Assist in developing and implementing an annual budget
- Attend staff meetings, Family Ministry team meetings, planning retreats, and additional meetings as requested
- Flexibility in accepting additional responsibilities
- Take part in continuing education annually
-2+ years’ experience working, volunteer or paid, in children’s ministry
- Experience with leading teams of volunteers
-Demonstrates love and understanding of children
-Vision for reaching unchurched children and families
-Ability to be flexible and a team player
-Strong organizational and leadership skills
-Proficient administrative skills: including Microsoft Office and Social Media Platforms
-Willingness to embrace the core values of FUMC and convey those values through FUMC children’s programs
-2+ years’ professional experience in children’s ministry
-Experience in Orange strategy, 252Basics and 252 Pre-teens
-Bachelor’s degree in a related field (Pastoral, child development, education, etc).
-Certified in First Aid/CPR