Children’s Ministry Pastor Job Description
Position Summary :
As the Children’s Ministry Pastor you are leading a team who is committed to reaching and
guiding children (Birth to 5 th grade) to discover Christ’s love personally. You are passionate
about inciting WONDER IN THE HEART OF EVERY CHILD and helping preschoolers embrace
a God who is bigger than their imagination. You also feel God’s calling to SHEPHERD
CHILDREN as they discover how to grow in relationship with Jesus. You utilize a strategy that
PARTNERS WITH PARENTS, equipping them to be the biggest spiritual influence in the life of
You will have the broad responsibility for uniting the church and families of children in our
Orange ministry, while partnering with parents to encourage, equip, and resource them with
spiritual and practical insights as they raise their children. You will be chartered with reaching
more families for Christ and fostering a thriving and growing ministry. As a member of the
Family Ministry Team, you will collaborate and co-lead Keystone’s Orange transformation, while
leading Keystone’s Children’s Ministry strategy, overseeing Pre-school and Elementary ministries,
staff and budget, and developing future ministry leaders and volunteers.
You have a growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ and a passion for reaching and
equipping children and their parents for Christ. You possess abilities and strengths in:
▪ Leadership development, strategy & outreach
▪ Relationship building, shepherding & team building
▪ Communicating & teaching
▪ Program planning & scheduling
You will report to the Pastor of Worship, be pastorally mentored by the Lead Pastor, and lead
the Children’s Ministry Team to create relationally driven environments. These environments are
where children/students can find faith and continue to take next steps in their faith journey as
they grow in maturity, serve selflessly and strengthen community. With a ‘Think Orange’
strategy, you will be a part of a team that is invested in parents just as much as the children. As a
ministry we also value and include children with special needs in our environments and ministry.
Ensuring an approach to ministry that fosters inclusion of our special needs families and kids is
Leadership Development, Strategy & Outreach
▪ Cast vision for ‘Think Orange’ Children’s ministry and lead parents of children through an
Orange cultural transformation.
▪ In collaboration with the Children’s Ministry Team; recruit, assimilate and invest in volunteer
leaders. Help people see their spiritual gifts and passion, and equip them to realize their
calling as Kingdom workers.
▪ Invest in the Children’s Ministry Staff to provide them with opportunities to grow deeper in
faith; Coach the team to develop leaders within the ministry and to elevate their role as a
leader of leaders.
▪ Develop & oversee a cohesive strategy and implementation plan for the spiritual growth of
children from birth – 5 th grade and children with special needs.
▪ Develop an outreach strategy and lead implementation to reach new families with a focus on
the de-churched and unchurched. Elevate Keystone’s visibility in the community.
▪ As a member of the Family Ministry Team, collaborate on the overall Family Ministry
strategy and plans; lead the Children’s Ministry team to realize ministry goals and objectives.
▪ Oversee the quality, safety and spiritual impact of all Children’s Ministry environments,
driving toward continuous improvement.
Relationship Building & Shepherding
▪ Ensure that your relationship with God is given priority in your everyday life.
▪ Focus on becoming relationally connected and established at Keystone Church as your
▪ Cultivate authentic relationships with children and parents to help them to belong at
▪ Lead people to connect and be a part of the Keystone community by encouraging parents to
participate in Group Life.
▪ Pastorally shepherd the Children’s Ministry team to follow up with new or disconnected
children to help them connect and belong.
▪ Develop strong relationships with and personally pastor and shepherd parents.
▪ Invest relationally in volunteer leaders.
▪ Foster strong relationships with the Children’s Ministry team, the Special Needs team and
entire Keystone team.
Communicating & Teaching
▪ Cultivate strong lines of communication with the Lead Pastor, Executive Team, Student
Ministry Pastor, Children’s Ministry team, and Special Needs team.
▪ Regularly cast vision for a ‘Think Orange’ ministry to the congregation, volunteers, and
▪ Fully develop an effective partnership between Keystone Church and Parents to equip
parents in leading their children/students in a growing relationship with Christ.
▪ Develop resources and communications to equip parents through teachings,
intergenerational experiences, missional service opportunities with their children,
connection events, texts, social media, and email.
▪ Develop resources that enable the Children’s Ministry and Special Needs teams to
consistently and clearly communicate with volunteer leaders with direction, support, and
tools for ministry.
▪ Create and share compelling and relevant messages as a periodic teacher for Sunday worship
▪ Lead regularly scheduled volunteer trainings; Reach out and meet with new families; Meet
regularly with families of children with special needs; conduct monthly 1:1 meetings with
Children’s Ministry team and key Special Needs volunteer leaders; attend monthly 1:1
meetings with the Lead Pastor, monthly Family Ministry Orange team meetings, weekly
Children’s Ministry staff meetings, and bi-weekly staff meetings.
Program Planning & Scheduling
▪ In collaboration with the Family Ministry team, create and implement a cohesive and
strategic plan for the school year.
o Plan events & programs to reach new families/children.
o Plan events & programs to connect families/children to Keystone and to each other.
o Plan events & programs to connect parents to GroupLife.
o Plan events & programs to help children grow deeper in their faith journey.
o Plan events & programs to help children/families serve at Keystone and in the
▪ Lead the Children’s Ministry team to develop and adhere to a budget.
▪ Growing vibrant relationship with Jesus
▪ Experience leading a high-capacity team
▪ Great at building and leading teams, and developing leaders
▪ Evangelist! Intuitively connects and builds relationships with unbelievers, and seeks out
opportunities to talk about spiritual matters
▪ Naturally casts vision for Children’s ministry
▪ ‘People magnet’ (likable) and relationally connects with children and parents
▪ Passionate about a partnership between parents and the church
▪ Effective communicator of core truth to children and parents
▪ Effective teacher of God’s Word with relevant application to today’s culture, at Sunday
worship experiences (optional)
▪ Creative! An expert on ‘Think Orange’ model of children’s ministry
▪ Strategic thinker
▪ Team player
▪ Completed ministerial degree with 5+ years of ministerial experience
Pastoral Mentor : Lead Pastor
Reports to : Worship Pastor
Work Schedule: 40 hours per week (typically Sunday through Thursday)
Keystone is a growing Wesleyan church of 1,650 with 650 weekly attendees. Our mission is to
“love and lead people in a growing relationship with Jesus Christ” by creating a church
that people love to attend, especially those new to Church.”
We are located in Saline, Michigan, recently named “Best Place to Raise Kids in Michigan” by
Bloomberg Business Week. Having been recognized for its desirability, Saline is the only small
city to be named three consecutive times as one of the best cities to live by CNN Money
Magazine. Located next to Ann Arbor, home of the University of Michigan, people enjoy the
eclectic urban vibe, vibrant downtown setting, and ethnic diversity. The college town boasts
action-packed sporting events, numerous park and recreational venues, and something for art
aficionados of any age. While the university remains a significant contributor to the city’s
economic success, the metropolitan area is also home to many high-tech, healthcare, and higher
education businesses and institutions. Saline keeps a small-town feel with big-city amenities
To apply, e-mail our search team at firstname.lastname@example.org with your:
1. Letter of interest
2. Personal testimony
4. Links to sample teachings/sermons.
A detailed job description is available at www.keystonechurch.us/jobs
For additional information about Keystone Church visit: